Freedom of Information (FOI)The purpose of this People’s FOI Manual is to provide the process to guide and assist Filipino Citizens in requesting for information under Executive Order (E.O.) No. 2, Series of 2016, on Freedom of Information (FOI).
While providing for access to information, the University shall afford full protection to a person’s right to privacy, as follows:
- The University shall ensure that personal information, particularly sensitive personal information, in its custody or under its control is disclosed only as permitted by existing laws;
- The University shall protect personal information in its custody or under its control by making reasonable security arrangements against unauthorized access, leaks or premature disclosure;
- The FRO, FDM, or any employee or official who has access, whether authorized or unauthorized, to personal information in the custody of the University, shall not disclose that information except as authorized by existing laws.
FOI FREQUENTLY ASK QUESTIONS
What is FOI?Freedom of Information (FOI) is the government’s response to the call for transparency and full public disclosure of information. FOI is a government mechanism which allows Filipino citizens to request any information about the government transactions and operations, provided that it shall not put into jeopardy privacy and matters of national security.The FOI mechanism for the Executive Branch is enabled via Executive Order No. 2, series of 2016.
What is Executive Order No. 2 S. 2016?Executive Order No. 2 is the enabling order for FOI. EO 2 operationalizes in the Executive Branch the People’s Constitutional right to information. EO 2 also provides the State policies to full public disclosure and transparency in the public service. EO 2 was signed by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on July 23, 2016.
Who oversees the implementation of EO 2?The Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) oversees the operation of the FOI program. PCOO serves as the coordinator of all government agencies to ensure that the FOI program is properly implemented.
Who can make an FOI request?Any Filipino citizen can make an FOI Request. As a matter of policy, requestors are required to present proof of identification.
What can I ask for under EO on FOI?Information, official records, public records, and, documents and papers pertaining to official acts, transactions or decisions, as well as to government research data used as basis for policy development.
What agencies can we ask information?An FOI request under EO 2 can be made before all government offices under the Executive Branch, including government owned or controlled corporations (GOCCs) and state universities and colleges (SUCs).FOI requests must be sent to the specific agency of interest, to be received by its respective Receiving Officer.
How do I make an FOI request?
- The requestor is to fill up a request form and submits to the agency’s Receiving Officer. The Receiving Officer shall validate the request and logs it accordingly on the FOI tracker.
- If deemed necessary, the Receiving Officer may clarify the request on the same day it was filed, such as specifying the information requested, and providing other assistance needed by the Requestor.
- The request is forwarded to the Decision Maker for proper assessment. The Decision Maker shall check if the agency holds the information requested, if it is already accessible, or if the request is a repeat of any previous request.
- The request shall be forwarded to the officials involved to locate the requested information.
- Once all relevant information is retrieved, officials will check if any exemptions apply, and will recommend appropriate response to the request.
- If necessary, the head of the agency shall provide clearance to the response.
- The agency shall prepare the information for release, based on the desired format of the Requestor. It shall be sent to the Requestor depending on the receipt preference.
How much does it cost to make an FOI request?There are no fees to make a request. But the agency may charge a reasonable fee for necessary costs, including costs of printing, reproduction and/or photocopying.
What will I receive in response to an FOI request?You will be receiving a response either granting or denying your request.If the request is granted, the information requested will be attached, using a format that you specified. Otherwise, the agency will explain why the request was denied.
How long will it take before I get a response?It is mandated that all replies shall be sent fifteen (15) working days after the receipt of the request. The agency will be sending a response, informing of an extension of processing period no longer than twenty (20) working days, should the need arise.
What if I never get a response?If the agency fails to provide a response within the required fifteen (15) working days, the Requestor may write an appeal letter to the Central Appeals and Review Committee within fifteen (15) calendar days from the lapse of required response period. The appeal shall be decided within thirty (30) working days by the Central Appeals and Review Committee.If all administrative remedies are exhausted and no resolution is provided, requestors may file the appropriate case in the proper courts in accordance with the Rules of Court.
What will happen if my request is not granted?If you are not satisfied with the response, the Requestor may write an appeal letter to the Central Appeals and Review Committee within fifteen (15) calendar days from the lapse of required response period. The appeal shall be decided within thirty (30) working days by the Central Appeals and Review Committee.If all administrative remedies are exhausted and no resolution is provided, requestors may file the appropriate case in the proper courts in accordance with the Rules of Court.
Freedom of Information (FOI)
FOI Receiving Officers of the Biliran Province State University
Campus: Biliran Province State University - Naval & Biliran Campus
Location of FOI Receiving Office: Office of the FOI Focal Person, Biliran Province State University, Naval, Biliran
Assigned FOI Receiving Officer: Marjorie B. Nazario
Assigned FOI Receiving Officer: Marjorie B. Nazario